Passage: Luke 20:45– 21:4
The Pride, Greed, and Hypocrisy of the Scribes
• 45, 46 And in the hearing of all the people he said to his disciples, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love greetings in the marketplaces and the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts,
ₒ Luke 11:42,45
• 47a who devour widows’ houses
ₒ Exodus 22:22-24
• 47b and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”
ₒ Matthew 6:5
A Poor Widow’s Extravagance
• 1 Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box,
ₒ Matthew 6:2
• 2-4 and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
ₒ James 2:1-7
• Faithfulness is not demonstrated in religious piety but is a condition of the heart which, out of obedience, bears real fruit.
ₒ Matthew 6:3, 4, 6, 17, 18
ₒ John 14:21
ₒ John 15:4, 5
• How does my pride cause me to seek religious attention like the Scribes?
• Why do we give what we give to the church?