Wisdom Centered Emotions
“Wisdom Centered Emotions”
Various Proverbs Concerning Anger, Hatred, And Wrath
Pastor Ryan Brice
August 18, 2019
● Anger is the sinful emotion of hastily reacting to our circumstances in the flesh, rather than in the Spirit
○ Psalm 4:4
○ Proverbs 14:17
○ Proverbs 12:16
● Anger is sinful when that which makes us angry is more about us than it is about evil
○ Proverbs 29:22
● We battle sinful anger in our lives by practicing emotional self-control
○ Proverbs 19:11
○ Proverbs 14:29
● Hatred is the sinful emotion of bitterness towards another person
○ Proverbs 14:21
● Hatred is sinful because it fails to love people in the same way that God loves them
○ Proverbs 10:12
○ Proverbs 26:24
● We battle hatred in our lives by practicing forgiveness and love
○ Proverbs 14:10
○ Proverbs 15:17
● Wrath is the sinful desire to either seek personal retribution or to celebrate the hardship of those who have wronged you
○ Proverbs 24:17,18
● Wrath is sinful because it seeks to supplant God’s role as the one who judges and punishes evil
○ Proverbs 20:22
● We battle wrath in our lives by practicing goodness to our enemies while having faith in God’s wise judgement
○ Proverbs 25:21, 22
● The gospel frees us from anger, hatred, and wrath and allows us to battle them by practicing righteousness.
○ Romans 12:9-21
● How does anger and hatred lead to wrath?
● What is the difference between righteous and sinful anger?
● Why is it difficult to forgive those who have wronged you?