The Gracious Election of the Father
Passage: Ephesians 1:3–1:6
v3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
The Timing of the Father’s Gracious Election
- v4a. even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world,
- Ephesians 2:8-9
The Results of the Father’s Gracious Election
- v4b. that we should be holy and blameless before him.
- Romans 8:28-29a
- Ephesians 2:10
- Philippians 1:6
- v5a. he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ,
- Romans 8:29b
- Galatians 4:4-5
The Reasons for the Father’s Gracious Election
- v4c. In love
- Ephesians 2:4-5
- v5b. according to the purpose of his will,
- Ephesians 1:9, 11
- Romans 9:11-13
- v6. to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
- Ephesians 1:12, 14
The Father’s gracious election should bring us comfort and joy, cause us to glorify him, and spur us on in our evangelism.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14
- 2 Timothy 2:10
- Why is there comfort in knowing that salvation experienced by those who believe was ensured by the Father before the foundation of the world?
- How can we glorify God as his chosen people?
- Why do we have biblical mandate to proclaim the gospel to all people when God knows exactly whom he will save?