Suffering and Judgment
Passage: 1 Thessalonians 2:14–2:16
The Suffering Church
- 14a For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea. For you suffered the same things from your own countrymen as they did from the Jews,
- 1 Thessalonians 1:6, 7
- Acts 12:1–4
- Hebrews 5:7, 8
- Romans 8:16, 17
The Full Measure of Sin and Present Wrath
- 15a who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets,
- Matthew 23:29–31
- 15b and drove us out,
- 15c and displease God
- Romans 8:6–8
- 15d, 16a and oppose all mankind by hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles that they might be saved—
- 16b so as always to fill up the measure of their sins.
- Matthew 23:32
- 16c But wrath has come upon them at last!
- Matthew 23:34-36
- If, through Christ, I am being saved from the wrath of God, I have no need to fear the temporary suffering brought about by those still under his wrath.
- Romans 3:21–26
- Romans 8:31–37
- How has the level of comfort we’ve grown to enjoy in our culture affect our theology of suffering?
- Do I regularly proclaim the hope of the Gospel to those who are under God’s wrath?