Sanctified In All Things
Passage: 1 Thessalonians 4:1–8
A General Call to Sanctification
- 1, 2 Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus.
- John 17:16–19
A Specific Call to Sanctified Sexual Conduct
- 3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;
- Acts 15:28, 29
- 4, 5 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;
- 1 Peter 1:14
- 6a that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter,
- 6b because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you.
- Hebrews 13:4
- 7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.
- 1 Peter 1:15–16
- 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
- 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20
- Through the Lord’s power and guidance of his word, we can experience sanctification in every area of our lives including our sexual conduct.
- Colossians 1:9–14
- In what areas of my life do I resist the Lord’s sanctifying work?
- Like the culture in which Paul is writing this letter, how does our modern culture conflict with a biblical sexual ethic?