Rescue and Judgment
Passage: 2 Peter 2:4–2:10a
Main Idea: God will graciously rescue those in Christ and righteously judge the wicked.
The Pattern of Judgment and Rescue
- 4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment;
- Jude 6
- Genesis 6:1, 2
- 5 if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;
- Genesis 6:5–8, 17, 18
- 6–8 if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard);
- Genesis 19:4–7, 15–17 , 23–25
- Jude 7
The Promise of Rescue
9a then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials,
- Philippians 3:9
- 1 Corinthians 10:13
- James 1:2–4, 12
The Surety of Judgment
- 9b, 10a and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, and especially those who indulge in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority.
- Jude 8
- Romans 1:24–28
- Romans 2:5
- Have you found rescue from sin in Christ alone or are you under the Lord’s righteous judgment?
- John 3:16-20, 36