Wisdom Centered Sex
Passage: Proverbs 6:20–6:35
“Wisdom Centered Sex”
Proverbs 6:20-35, et al.
Pastor Ryan Brice
July 14, 2019
The Temptation of Sexual Sin
• The lust of the heart for fleeting beauty
ₒ Proverbs 6:25
• The pleasing words of the titillating conversation
ₒ Proverbs 6:24
ₒ Proverbs 5:3, 4
ₒ Proverbs 7:6-21
• The scorching fire of giving in to sexual sin
ₒ Proverbs 6:27-29a
The Deadly Consequences of Sexual Sin
• There is no sexual sin that does not bring devastating temporal consequences
ₒ Proverbs 6:26, 29b-35
ₒ Proverbs 5:20-23
• The final consequence for sexual sin is eternal judgement
ₒ Proverbs 5:5
ₒ Proverbs 7:22-27
Wisdom for Avoiding Sexual Sin
• Basic spiritual disciplines work to counteract our deepest temptations
ₒ Proverbs 6:20-23
ₒ Proverbs 7:1-5
ₒ Proverbs 5:8-14
• Honor and embrace the true beauty of the Lord’s good design for sex within the covenant marriage
ₒ Proverbs 5:15-19
• Only through the power of the gospel can we find forgiveness for past sexual sin and the strength to stand against present temptation.
ₒ I Corinthians 6:15-20
ₒ I Corinthians 10:6, 8, 13
• How am I (we) guarding myself (my family) from the ever present temptation of online pornography?
• How can I avoid inappropriate conversations that lead to deeper temptation?
• What spiritual disciplines do I need to increase in my life so that I can be better equipped to overcome sexual temptation?
• Have I allowed the truth of the gospel to penetrate my guilt of past sexual sin, or do I still live in personal condemnation of something I have been forgiven for?