The God of Jacob
Passage: Genesis 28:10–28:22
Presence of God
- 10–12 Jacob left Beersheba and went toward Haran. And he came to a certain place and stayed there that night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place to sleep. And he dreamed, and behold, there was a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven. And behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it!
- Genesis 11:4-5
- 13a And behold, the Lord stood above it and said, “I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac.
Promise of God
- 13b, 14a The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring. Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south,
- Genesis 13:14-16
- 14b and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
- Genesis 12:2-3
- 15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”
Profession of Faith in God
- 16–19 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” And he was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.” So early in the morning Jacob took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up for a pillar and poured oil on the top of it. He called the name of that place Bethel, but the name of the city was Luz at the first.
- Exodus 15:11
- Psalm 84:1-2
- 20–22 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you.”
- Genesis 15:5-6
- Genesis 14:18–20
- Jesus Christ descended from on high, bridging the gap between man and God so that we might be partakers of his promise through faith.
- John 1:51
- Daniel 7:13-14
- Hebrews 10:19-23