The Gospel Mystery
Passage: Ephesians 3:1–3:13
“The Gospel Mystery”
Pastor Ryan Brice
December 15, 2019
Revelation of the Gospel Mystery
• 1-5 For this reason I, Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles—assuming that you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace that was given to me for you, how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly. When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
ₒ 1 John 1:16, 17
• 6 This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
ₒ Ephesians 2:17-19
Proclamation of the Gospel Mystery
• 7,8 Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power. To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,
ₒ I Corinthians 15:9, 10
ₒ I Timothy 1:15
• 9, 10 and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God, who created all things, so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.
ₒ 1 Peter 1:10-12
• 11, 12 This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him.
ₒ Ephesians 1:11
• 13 So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory.
• The gospel is central to the life and mission of all believers and is the unifying message of our church as we seek to proclaim the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus in our community and around the world.
ₒ 1 Corinthias 2:1-5
• Why is humility important to both our understanding of the gospel and our proclamation of it?
• How does the revelation of God in the Old Testament help us to better understand the work of Christ and his church in the New Testament?
• How am I (are we) seeking to proclaim the gospel to my friends and family?